Just another WordPress.com site
Maryland- Football and Crabcakes: One for two Ain’t Bad
December 10, 2011Posted by on
What is it with the University of Maryland fans? They talk as if UM football was some shining star that has started to tarnish a bit. I think they view their program similarly to that of Notre Dame. They believe that Randy Edsall has ruined the program. An apt analogy would be putting a dent in your 1996 Civic. It’s not a good thing, but it’s hardly any reason to get your knickers in a twist. News Flash: UM football is, and never really was anything special. Let’s Examine.
- They have not finished in the AP top 10 since 1976.
- They haven’t won the ACC since 2001.
- They have never even been in the ACC Championship Game, much less won it.
- Since 2004 they are 44-42
- Their “awesome” 2010 9-4 team? The only BCS conference teams they beat had a combined record of 22-27.
Oh, and the beloved Ralph Friedgen. He put together this storied history of mediocrity with more NFL players than any other team in the ACC, save for Miami and Florida State.
- More than BC. (2 ACC Championship Games)
- More than Georgia Tech (2 ACC Championship Games)
- More than Va Tech (4 ACC Championship Games)
I guess he has a great personality because the sports radio pundits in the DC area, go crazy about the firing and any criticism. It’s like he’s a fat sweaty Faberge Egg that they carry around in bubble wrap lest his feelings be hurt. Burning his diploma. Grow up.
Randy Edsall may turn out to be the worst football coach ever, but that remains to be seen. But their rabid fans (who couldn’t be bothered to attend games after a rough patch) want him fired now. I fear they have been influenced by the pro team that plays in Landover. Keeping Edsall may not work. Getting in the habit of firing coaches when things get bad, definitely won’t work. So Edsall is a dick. Everyone is sooo sensitive now. Since when do we fire coaches for being dicks? Get over it. They lie, obfuscate, stonewall, blah, blah, blah. Cities love their dick coaches when they win. Give him a chance to win. So your ’96 Civic has a dent. BFD.